Monday, November 12, 2012

Pie: Elimination Diet Dessert

Well I might as well kick this off with dessert! An elimination diet friendly dessert, that seems impossible but here's my best attempt so far. It's shown state is a pie-type thing, but the first time I made this mixture it was for cookies.  As cookies they were good, but a little flat.  I'm a big fan of poofy cookies, so the tart approach seemed logical to me.  Either way it tastes delish!


You'll need....
>Almond meal (or some type of flour substitute if you can't have almond)
>An oil you can have - I use Canola
>A banana - overripe is good
>Ground flax seed (if you don't have this buy some, you'll use it lots as an egg replacement)
>Baking soda
>Agave syrup (or sugar/honey if you can have it)
>100% fruit jam - I used raspberry
>Cream of tartar (don't worry if you don't have it)
>flavoring - I used allspice and vanilla


 First make your "egg", the directions will likely say 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water, but I used 1 tbsp flax and 2 tbsp water to cut down on liquid.
 Mash your banana well with a fork. Add it to the flax mixture.
 Add the remaining ingredients.  Here's me pouring in some agave, note I'm not measuring it. I like sweet desserts so I added quite a bit, maybe the same amount as the banana/flax. If you want to start with a bit (1/4 cup) you can always add more to taste later - I did. Add a teaspoon baking soda and about 2 tbsp oil. Then a pinch of cream of tartar if you have it on hand. Add your spices, I added a couple shakes of ground allspice, and about 2 tsp of  vanilla. Now add in your almond flour, start with about a cup.
 This is the only moderately tricky part, you need a decent texture and good taste - so play.  Taste it first and see what you think, not very sweet? Add more agave.  How's the flavor, need more spice? Add almond flour until the mixture is pretty thick, it should sit on your fork like in this picture with only a slow run off.  If you had to add lots of flour check your flavor again to make sure the almond didn't take over.

Think of all the wonderful things you could experiment with as you taste it. I think next time I'll use allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and add raisins! Coconut would go well too. Or pecans.

 Grease your pie dish with oil can eat. Pour in the batter. Bake at 350C for about 30 min. Check it at 20 in case your oven is hot. It may need up to maybe 40 min.
 It should be golden brown all over when done. Insert a toothpick in the center, it can be a tiny bit wet but shouldn't have any goo sticking to it. Take it out and let it cool.


Finally, smother the top with jam!  Cut and serve immediately, or keep it in the fridge.








There you have it! A gluten free, sugar free, soy free, everything else free, vegan dessert pie cake thingy. And it tastes good to the whole family - my son keeps begging for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment